Home News Local News Murder suspect nabbed after standoff with SWAT team Monday

Murder suspect nabbed after standoff with SWAT team Monday


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record


A Roswell man wanted in connection with the 2014 murder of another Roswell man was arrested after a standoff with a police SWAT team Monday morning at a Roswell home.
The Roswell Police Department said Frank Anthony Montoya, 20, was arrested Monday morning on a warrant that was issued last week charging him with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit first-degree murder. The charges relate to the December 2014 shooting murder of Joe Anthony Garza of Roswell. Montoya is now being held at the Chaves County Adult Detention Center.
The RPD said officers received information Monday morning that Montoya could be at a residence in the 400 block of West Tilden Street.
Shortly after 8 a.m. Monday, officers began using a public address system to call for people to exit the residence. Police said three people exited the home, and each denied knowing Montoya.
Police said the next hour included continued call-outs using the public address system, one of Montoya’s family members speaking to him on the phone trying to convince him to surrender, and the RPD SWAT team deploying a distraction device into the residence. Montoya eventually exited the residence and surrendered, police said.
Montoya’s alleged co-conspirator in the case, Louie Joseph Archuleta, now 21, was arrested in August 2015 on the same charges Montoya faces. Archuleta remains in custody at the Chaves County jail as he awaits a July 18 trial in his case.
Montoya was also arrested in August 2015 on the murder and conspiracy charges in connection with this case, but a magistrate court judge in September 2015 ruled there was insufficient probable cause at that time for the case to be sent to district court for trial. The RPD investigation was then continued. Police said additional information was gathered and a new warrant was issued for Montoya’s arrest on Thursday.
An RPD officer responding to a 911 call at about 5:30 p.m. Dec. 14, 2014, found Garza in the street near the intersection of East Tilden Street and South Mulberry Avenue.
Garza, 32, who had been riding his bike at the time, was shot multiple times times in his torso, arms and legs. He died at the scene. Police said witnesses saw a vehicle leaving the scene following the shooting.
Investigators believe Garza’s shooting was in retaliation for a fight that had taken place between Garza and the two suspects; Montoya and Archuleta.
Police said during the investigation that detectives learned that prior to the shooting, Montoya and Archuleta had made threats to Garza’s family members in which Montoya and Archuleta allegedly said they were going to kill Garza.
Roswell police last week sought information from the public about Montoya’s whereabouts.

Previous articleBikers honor veterans with a rumble
Next articleVeterans honored in Memorial Day ceremony; Sacrifices of fallen service members remembered