As a follow-up to the recent story about an altercation Dr. Ken Leadingham had with a man believed to be homeless, and considering the story was based primarily on Dr. Leadingham’s description to the newspaper, including complaints about the Roswell Police Department’s response to and handling of the incident, RPD would like to note the following.
• When the call came into dispatch, officers responded to the area within minutes, and first searched the area looking for a fight or other physical altercation they believed could possibly be continuing. After ensuring there was no further incident taking place that required intervention to prevent someone from getting hurt or required medical attention, officers then began making contact with Dr. Leadingham and others from his office.
Those contacts took place less than 15 minutes after the original call came in to dispatch.
• The calling party from the doctor’s office who made the initial call to report the incident, as well as other related calls that followed, refused to provide dispatchers with requested information about the incident, so officers had limited details about what they may be responding to.
• At the scene, Dr. Leadingham was uncooperative with and dismissive of officers who were attempting to find out information about what happened as they began to investigate. At one point, Dr. Leadingham told an officer he did not want the officer on his property.
• The RPD investigation of this incident includes statements from witnesses in the area who saw the altercation. Certain witness statements conflict with the account of the incident given by Dr. Leadingham.
• The incident report and body-cam video footage from the officers who responded to this incident contain no indication of Dr. Leadingham offering to provide to RPD any video surveillance recordings from his building.
• In total, three officers, one detective and a sergeant responded to this incident.
• This remains an open investigation. RPD will continue to work to determine an accurate account of what occurred and to identify and locate any suspect involved.
Public information officer
Roswell Police Department