Home News Local News Victim of arson leaves former home as case remains open

Victim of arson leaves former home as case remains open

Ronald Lee Mason stands outside his home and slightly charred couch Wednesday afternoon along the 300 block of Birch Avenue after multiple areas within his home had mysteriously caught on fire while he was asleep Tuesday night. (Trevier Gonzalez Photo)

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man that reported an arson to local authorities Wednesday morning is leaving his former home in west Roswell.

According to reports by the Roswell Police Department, Ronald Lee Mason claims that someone entered his residence while he was asleep Tuesday night and set several of his belongings on fire.

Authorities were advised by the resident that he had woken up unexpectedly to find that his couch, window curtain, jacket and a small clipboard hanging on the kitchen on his kitchen wall were all on fire.

Police said Mason was able to put out all of the fires. Since then, the case has been forwarded over to the RPD’s Criminal Investigations Division.

According to the RPD’s public information officer, Todd Wildermuth, while the case remains open, the initial conclusion by investigating officers is that Mason’s story did not really add up with the situation found at the scene.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Wildermuth said the Roswell Fire Department’s fire marshal was not called in because the fires were of little significance.

“Police officers believe the very small fire on the couch may have been started by accident by the man rather than someone breaking in,” he said. “In most arson investigations, however, the fire marshal and RPD investigators work cooperatively. But in cases like this where the fire turns out to be an insignificant part of the call, officers may just handle it, as it did here.”

When the Daily Record spoke with Mason, he was preparing to leave his home in fear of someone breaking into his home and potentially harming him.

“I was so shaken,” Mason said. “I mean — somebody tried to kill me. I have no idea (why.) It’s insane. They just trashed the place.”

Previous articleEddy county leaders spend time in jail
Next articleHousing Authority to sell ‘aging’ Hagerman apartment complex