Home News Local News House fire leads to possible charge; Presumed felon returns to extinguished house...

House fire leads to possible charge; Presumed felon returns to extinguished house fire, retrieves shotgun

Facing west near the intersection of East Albuquerque Street and South Garden Avenue, the sun begins to set. Hours before, firefighters responded to a house fire near the area, in which a man at the home returned inside to retrieve a shotgun. The man was later detained by the Roswell Police Department, as he is believed to be a convicted felon. (Trevier Gonzalez Photo)

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man presumed to be a felon was placed in police custody Wednesday after returning to a house fire scene to pick up a shotgun.

According to the Roswell Police Department’s and Roswell Fire Department’s public information officer, Todd Wildermuth, firefighters were first dispatched to a house fire at the corner of East Albuquerque Street and South Garden Avenue shortly after 12:30 p.m.

“The fire inside the house was controlled quickly by firefighters,” Wildermuth said. “A female who made it out of the house before RFD’s arrival was transported to a hospital with smoke inhalation.”

Wildermuth said a man inside the home had been ushered out the back door by firefighters.

“At some point during the incident, the same male went back into the house — firefighters instructed him to leave,” Wildermuth said. “He picked up a shotgun. He did not threaten the firefighters with the gun and headed toward the back door.”

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Wildermuth said, in response, firefighters retreated toward the front door, and the RPD was called.

“Some officers were already on scene doing traffic control for the fire,” Wildermuth said. “Officers quickly detained the subject, who is believed to be a felon.”

Wildermuth said Wednesday afternoon an investigation for a possible charge of felony possession of a firearm was underway by the RPD.

“No firefighters or PD officers were injured,” Wildermuth said. “(The) cause of the fire is under investigation.”