Home News Local News Pecos Trails proposes new western bus route

Pecos Trails proposes new western bus route

0
The proposed Pecos Trail Route 6 was displayed for the General Services Committee on Wednesday afternoon. Route 6 is marked in red and would run from the Pecos Trail Terminal covering sections of Main Street, College Boulevard, Sycamore Avenue, Country Club Road, Atkinson Avenue, and Second Street. This route will be revisited at the next General Services Committee meeting in March. (Photo courtesy of the City of Roswell )

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Pecos Trails Transit proposed a new route that would service the west and east of town north of Second Street for the General Services Committee to review and consider on Wednesday afternoon.

Committee Chair Tabitha Denny and City Councilors Natasha Mackey and Steve Henderson voted unanimously with a voice vote to revisit the route and consider recommending it to the full Roswell City Council at the next meeting in late March.

Elizabeth Gilbert, director of administrative services, said the proposed Route 6 would provide service to the new Recreation and Aquatic Center, the Cielo Grande Recreation area, Spring River Apartments, Gateway Church, several retirement facilities, and the Spring River Park & Zoo.

Transit Director Anna Aragon said there had been plans to create a route to the Recreation and Aquatic Center, but she wanted to add more to the city and be prepared for the opening of the recreation programs in October and the facility set to open early 2019.

“If we are going to put in a route, let’s put in a new route,” Aragon said. “Let’s go where we need to go.”

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Aragon said Connie Stewart, the operations supervisor, drafted the route and Aragon wanted to give Stewart due credit. In regards to the retirement and nursing homes, Aragon said this is a population that uses public transit and this would assist them best instead of the para-transit system, which is busy and booked usually.

Aragon said this route could be added and operate if current staff vacancies are filled. Councilor Mackey asked about the current hiring and commercial driver’s license (CDL) training, to which Gilbert and Aragon replied that job postings are on the city’s website and the Facebook page of Pecos Trails.

A full-time crew of 19 is needed and the department is currently staffed with 16 people, soon to be 13 with retirements and other reasons. Gilbert said the intention is to have this route running when the Aquatic Center opens.

Councilor Henderson asked if the route would have a trial run, which Denny agreed was a good idea, and if any routes would be deleted. Aragon said this would not be possible because the other bus routes are used currently.

As presented on Jan. 24, a new bus and van will be purchased for $154,121, which will be funded 80 percent by New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) with the remaining 20 percent supported by the city. A voice vote for the purchase was 3-0 and the motion passed to the full council.

For other bus news, Aragon said another bus caught on fire in the past month, which will possibly need to be replaced.

Chair Denny thanked Aragon and Gilbert and said this had been a big topic of discussion to cover Cielo Grande and the surrounding areas.

The committee also covered the Spring River Park & Zoo Master Plan, which had coverage in the middle of February, and unanimously voted to move the item to full council on March 15.

City reporter Alison Penn can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 205, or at reporter04@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleCouncil agrees to extension for Roswell to Phoenix flights
Next articleHelping the helpers; Paint party raises funds, illustrates hope for courthouse dogs