Home News Local News Man leads Deputies on chase through downtown Roswell

Man leads Deputies on chase through downtown Roswell


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man led Chaves County Deputies on a high speed chase down the roads and alleys of Roswell Friday night at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, incurring multiple traffic violations, speeding into oncoming traffic and nearly ramming into vehicles, according to police reports.

Jonathan Carter, 27, of Roswell, the driver of the vehicle, was arrested and faces charges of aggravated fleeing of a law enforcement officer, aggravated assault of a peace officer and other violations, a case report filed by a Chaves County Deputy says.

The pursuit of Carter began in outlying areas of the county at about 9:30 p.m. before entering city limits. Roswell Police Department Public Information Officer Todd Wildermuth said in an email Saturday Roswell Police officers blocked intersections to protect other traffic when the pursuit entered the city.

The case report says the chase began at the intersection of Darby Road and Miller Road, when a deputy flashed the lights on his marked car in an attempt to pull over the vehicle for having inoperable headlights. The vehicle then sped away while traveling northbound before turning left onto Sloan Street. The reports says the vehicle failed to stop at stop signs at Harris Street, Beard Road and Templeton Street and a series of other intersections.

The driver throughout the pursuit also did not stop at other red lights and intersections, according to the report.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Later, the vehicle headed into oncoming traffic on Old Dexter Highway and nearly hit several vehicles head-on, while traveling at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, the report says.

After the vehicle failed to stop at a red light at the intersection of South East Main Street and Brasher Avenue, it then headed north into oncoming traffic in the southbound lane. The report says the vehicle nearly struck a sheriff’s office marked car at the corner of South East Main Street and Poe streets and almost rammed into a marked Roswell police car at the intersection of South East Main and Hobbs Streets.

The reports says the vehicle continued westbound on Hobbs Street and then made a right turn and headed northbound on Union Avenue in the southbound lane. The vehicle passed a series of stop signs before turning onto an alley off Alameda Street, and traveled south, hitting a wooden fence post, with the vehicle’s left side sustaining damage.

The vehicle then headed westbound on Bland Street, the report says. When the vehicle reached the intersection of Bland Street and Aspen Avenue, two passengers exited the vehicle. The report says another passenger exited the vehicle after it made a left turn onto Evergreen Avenue.

The report says the deputy, at one point when the pursuit reached Main Street, disengaged from the pursuit by turning off his sirens and lights due to heavy traffic as the vehicle headed north in a southbound lane. The deputy then resumed the pursuit when the vehicle reached the Farmer’s Country Market parking lot before heading onto Berrendo Road.

The vehicle eventually stopped in the 3200 block of North Kentucky Avenue and the deputy and officers placed Carter under arrest. Carter declined to speak to the deputy, the report says.

The reports said a syringe was found on the passenger side floorboard by the deputy before the vehicle was towed to the Chaves County Sheriff’s office where the vehicle was secured pending a search warrant.

Carter was later transported to the Chaves County Detention Center, the report says.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articlePolice investigate break-in at Unity Center
Next articleCity supports naming NMMI bridge after fallen soldier