Home News Local News RISD delays start of school Monday due to threat

RISD delays start of school Monday due to threat

0

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

The start of the school day was delayed Monday, as Roswell police investigated a threat made to “shoot up” unspecified schools in Roswell.

Todd Wildermuth, public information officer with the RPD, said in a statement released shortly before noon that after police investigated, the threat was found to not be credible.

Roswell Schools were placed on a two-hour delay while police and school officials investigated. The buildings of all 20 schools in the Roswell Independent School District were later found to be safe and the school day started at 10 a.m.

Ann Lynn McIlroy, RISD superintendent, said she was notified Monday morning of the threat by the district’s assistant superintendent for human resources.

“I made the decision to do a two-hour school delay to allow the police an opportunity to locate the person and find out the credibility of the threat,” Mcllroy said.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

A press release from the RPD stated that a threat to “shoot up” the school was discovered in an email sent to a CIA office on the east coast. When the threatening email was found, the office notified the dispatch center, which then in turn notified the RPD, Chaves County Sheriff’s Office and local school officials.

Information from the CIA and local law enforcement later indicated that the email came from a 53-year-old woman who previously lived in Roswell but now resides in the Fort Worth, Texas area.

The FBI and local law enforcement are both involved in the investigation, but the FBI is presently doing the main work to bring possible federal charges in connection with the incident, Wildermuth stated in an email Monday.

He added that later the RPD might bring local charges against the woman.

Neither the police nor FBI would release the name of the woman suspected of sending the email, give a possible motive or disclose the specific charges the author of the threatening email could face.

Frank Fisher, director of public affairs with the FBI office in Albuquerque, Monday afternoon would only say that both the RPD and FBI were looking into the incident and the public was not believed to be in danger.

Although law enforcement and RISD officials said that school was safe for students, an RISD employee said late Monday that 4,792 students were absent.

McIlroy said she understood why some parents opted to keep their children out of school for the day and said those students would be excused from school for the day.

McIlroy added she supports bringing charges against the person responsible for the threat, saying that making such a threat is not acceptable. She said that it is quite disturbing that people would play on people’s insecurities by making such a threat.

The threat comes 10 months after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland Florida that left 17 people dead.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleMan pleads not guilty to August shooting
Next articleBroncos win big against Strength N Motion