Home News Local News Fire caused by wood stove

Fire caused by wood stove

Firefighters combat a blaze at a house on Gramma Avenue last Thursday night. Roswell Fire Marshall Matt Miller said Wednesday the fire started when the chimney pipe of a wood stove in the house heated to the point that it set materials under the roof ablaze. (Daily Record File Photo / Alex Ross)

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A house fire on Gramma Avenue last Friday was sparked by a chimney pipe on a wood stove that overheated according to Roswell Fire Marshall Matt Miller.

The fire began after the chimney pipe of a wood stove in the house’s living room became heated to the point it ignited wood and other materials under the roof, Miller said Wednesday.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and the investigation his now closed, Miller said.

No fatalities or injuries were reported and no structures beyond the house were damaged.

Damage to the roof of the house was extensive, but Miller said the rest of the house remained intact.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

The 911 dispatch center first received a call about the fire at 9:15 p.m. Friday.

Five or six fire trucks from both the Roswell Fire Department and the Berrendo Volunteer Fire Department were on the scene of the fire, Miller said.

He added that he suspects but cannot confirm that the Sierra Fire Department transported water to the scene to help extinguish the fire.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.