A historical marker will be erected today in Roswell at the site of one of the largest camps in the U.S. to house German prisoners during the Second World War.
The Roswell Chamber of Commerce Red Coats will host a dedication ceremony near Camp Roswell at the intersection of Highway 285 and Orchard Park Road at 1:30 p.m. The ceremony, sponsored by the Roswell Rotary Club, will be open to the public, and will include a ribbon cutting and a brief presentation.
Representatives from the New Mexico Department of Transportation and the New Mexico Historical Preservation Division are expected to be on hand for the ceremony.
The marker is five feet tall and six feet wide and made of wood and will explain the historical significance of Camp Roswell, a camp that held German prisoners of war and was in operation from 1942 to 1946. It housed about 4,816 German prisoners at its peak.
The website of the New Mexico Historic Preservation Division states the markers are meant to mark historical sites, districts and other locations that have great social, economic, political, historical, scientific, artistic and architectural significance in New Mexico, the southwestern U.S. and the nation.
Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at email@example.com.