Home News Local News Driver pursued by police Monday still at large

Driver pursued by police Monday still at large


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

An unidentified motorist who led police on a pursuit and caused a vehicle accident that culminated in a standoff in a residential neighborhood Monday night remains at large, according to Roswell police.

“The investigation is ongoing to identify possible suspects. No one has yet been charged with anything,” Todd Wildermuth, public information officer with the Roswell Police Department, said Tuesday afternoon.

The pursuit began at about 7:30 p.m. when police arrived in the area of East Alameda Street and Ash Avenue in response to a possible aggravated assault, according to a press release issued Tuesday by the RPD.

Multiple people in two vehicles — a car and a pickup truck — were parked in a field in the area, the press release states.

One of the vehicles then sped away from the scene as police arrived and began pursuing the vehicle.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

An accident report stated the fleeing vehicle — later identified as a black 2018 Nissan — turned west on East Country Club Road from Atkinson Avenue.

Because of the danger presented by the fleeing vehicle heading into oncoming traffic, officers canceled the pursuit. As officers ended the pursuit, the fleeing vehicle did not slow down and continued west on East Country Club Road.

As the vehicle entered the intersection of Country Club Road and Grand Avenue, the vehicle traveled left of center and ran a red light, then crashed into the front of a 2017 green Honda, according to the accident report.

No one was hurt in the Honda, which sustained moderate damage, and the vehicle pursued by police then fled the scene, the accident report states.

The press release states the fleeing vehicle was later found to have crashed into a fence at a residence in the 1000 block of Crescent Drive. Witnesses told officers that the driver of the vehicle entered the house.

Multiple RPD units were on the scene with officers stationed both in the front and back of the house. Officers in front of the residence periodically called out, urging the suspect to exit through the front door with hands raised.

Wildermuth said officers entered the house about an hour and a half after they arrived, and the suspect was not there. It is believed that the suspect had fled out the back door before police arrived, according to the release.

People with information about the case are asked to contact the Roswell Police Department at 575-624-6770 or Chaves County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-594-8477.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleWater district considers energy company requests
Next articleJames Edward Pilley