Home News Local News Two arrested after Sunday morning chase on US 285

Two arrested after Sunday morning chase on US 285


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A Roswell man led New Mexico State Police on a high speed chase on U.S. 285 Sunday morning, nearly crashing into nine cars while speeding into oncoming traffic.

Teddy Joe Trujillo Jr., 20, of Roswell, and a passenger — Brianna Duran, 22, of Artesia — were both placed under arrest Sunday, according to a press release from the State Police.

Trujillo faces charges of resisting, evading or obstructing an officer; nine counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; driving with a suspended license and fleeing. Duran was arrested on an outstanding warrant unrelated to the pursuit, the release states.

Neither Trujillo, Duran or any officer were injured in the pursuit, the release states.

A probable cause statement filed in Chaves County Magistrate Court by a State Police officer Monday said that at 6:37 a.m. Sunday a silver Toyota was seen traveling northbound at a high rate of speed on U.S. 285 at mile post 78, north of Artesia.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

The Toyota was found to be traveling at 88 mph in a 65 mph zone, according to the statement. The officer turned the police unit around and witnessed the Toyota enter Chaves County, passing light traffic at a speed of 110 mph in a 70 mph zone.

“At this point I engaged my emergency lights and sirens, and the driver of the vehicle refused to stop,” the officer wrote in the statement.

The officer then initiated pursuit of the Toyota — reaching speeds of 114 mph while passing light traffic — into Chaves County. A second police unit also joined the pursuit.

When the pursuit reached mile marker 90, the Toyota crossed the median and began traveling northbound in the southbound lane into on coming traffic, according to the statement.

The Toyota passed several vehicles at a high rate of speed and attempted to hit them. In the statement, the State Police officer wrote that the Toyota nearly hit approximately nine vehicles.

Other State Police units were able to use stop sticks to deflate the tires of the Toyota at mile marker 101. According to the statement, the vehicle then traveled back into the northbound lane, and its tires ripped off the rims.

Despite the damaged tires, the driver still refused to stop and was traveling at 60 to 70 mph in a 55 mph zone while heading northbound, according to the the statement.

The Toyota then slowed down, nearly coming to a stop on the northbound right shoulder of U.S. 285 before accelerating back onto the highway. The Toyota slowed down to about 30 mph. The officer wrote in the statement that he conducted a pursuit intervention technique and police were able to stop the the Toyota.

Police then ordered Trujillo and Duran to show their hands.

Duran was able to be detained immediately; however, Trujillo was was given orders to open the door of his vehicle and refused, according to the statement. An officer then broke a window and Trujillo was apprehended and detained.

A warrant was then obtained for Trujillo’s arrest and a bench warrant was obtained for Duran’s arrest, according to the statement.

In a later interview of Duran conducted by Police, she said that she had met Trujillo two days ago and they had been together since the previous night.

Duran told police that she and Trujillo were heading to Roswell to get some clothes for him when police tried to stop them, according to the statement.

She said that she tried to get Trujillo to stop but he refused, and when Trujillo began driving the vehicle into oncoming traffic, she became afraid for her life and thought they were going to crash.

Following his arrest, Trujillo was read his Miranda rights and refused to talk to police, according to the statement.

Trujillo and Duran were both still being held at the Chaves County Detention Center as of Monday morning, according to a jail population summary report from the Chaves County Detention Center.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleTownsend to seek re-election in 2020
Next articleCity prepares to launch new brand