Home News Local News Customers evacuated from Walmart due to gas leak

Customers evacuated from Walmart due to gas leak


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Employees and customers were cleared out of the Walmart Supercenter in Roswell Monday, following the discovery of a gas leak.

Todd Wildermuth, public information officer for the city of Roswell and the Roswell Fire Department, said the department received a call at about 9:45 a.m. about an odor of gas in part of the Walmart store located at 4500 North Main Street.

Store management had evacuated the building prior to the arrival of fire department crew members.

Fire crews at the scene then assisted a representative from the New Mexico Gas Company in shutting off gas to the building, Wildermuth said.

Walmart’s maintenance company then responded and made repairs as needed.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Wildermuth said he did not know how long people were out of the store, or whether the store has a recent history of similar leaks.

Calls made Monday afternoon to the store were not answered.

An email sent to the Walmart corporate headquarters in Arkansas was not answered before press time Monday.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.