Home News Local News Man leads deputies on foot, vehicle pursuit

Man leads deputies on foot, vehicle pursuit


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man was arrested Tuesday night after leading Chaves County Sheriff’s deputies and Roswell Police on a vehicle pursuit down U.S. 380 and then a brief foot pursuit.

Derrick Sherwood, 25, of Midland Texas, was eventually taken into custody and charged with one count of aggravated fleeing of a law enforcement officer, according to court documents. Sherwood was being held at the Chaves County Detention Center, according to a jail summary population report.

Mike Herrington, Chaves County sheriff, said Wednesday that Tuesday night the dispatch center received calls about a possible drunk driver on U.S. 380 almost hitting several vehicles head-on while traveling west in the eastbound lane.

“Subject was driving in the wrong lane of traffic, almost causing accidents,” Herrington said.

An affidavit states the Sheriff’s Office received two calls before 10:08 p.m. about an orange Mustang spotted at mile marker 182 driving west on U.S. 380 in the eastbound lane and unable to maintain its speeds.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

The Mustang was driving about 14 mph then stopped in the middle of the road at mile marker 172, according to the affidavit. Deputies approached the vehicle and Sherwood got out of the Mustang. No alcohol or drugs were detected on Sherwood.

A shotgun was discovered in the passenger seat and Sherwood kept trying to get back into the Mustang. After some questioning by deputies, they eventually took the shotgun from the Mustang, the affidavit states.

As one of the deputies was on the phone with Sherwood’s father, Sherwood ran to his vehicle and took off westbound on U.S. 380 at speeds ranging from 80 to 100 mph, and at one point, almost struck a vehicle, causing it to swerve off the road onto the shoulder.

The Mustang then came to a stop at mile marker 167 in the middle of the road, and Sherwood then turned off his vehicle, the affidavit states. Multiple commands were given for Sherwood to throw his keys out of the window and come out of the Mustang, but he refused to comply.

Sherwood refused the orders and for 20 minutes began reaching around inside the Mustang, according to the affidavit.

The Mustang then restarted and began heading westbound again. Spike sticks were then set at mile marker 166 in an attempt to stop the vehicle. When the Mustang reached mile marker 166, both driver’s side tires were struck by the spikes, producing sparks, the affidavit states.

“And it was at that time that his tires started to shred and as he came down Comanche Hill, he lost control of the car because it was basically just on the rim,” Herrington said.

The Mustang then came to a stop east of River Road. Sherwood then got out of the vehicle and ran south across the field, the affidavit states. Less than lethal bean bag rounds were then fired at Sherwood as he began to flee on foot and into a field east of U.S. 380.

Herrington later said Sherwood was pursued for about 300 yards before Sherwood stopped running and turned around. He was then tazed, according to the affidavit. Sherwood then fell to the ground.

A deputy then attempted to place handcuffs on Sherwood but he refused to release his right arm from beneath him. A Roswell Police officer then tazed Sherwood again and was able to pull his right arm out from underneath his body and place it in the handcuffs.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Next articleCarol ‘Jane’ Groseclose