Home News Local News RPD will do walkthroughs at Walmart after threat alerts

RPD will do walkthroughs at Walmart after threat alerts


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Roswell Police will do walkthroughs of the Walmart Supercenter this weekend as call volume allows, following an alert issued about threats of shootings at various Walmarts.

Todd Wildermuth, public information officer for the Roswell Police Department, said dispatchers at the Pecos Valley Regional Communications Center received a national law enforcement notice of a threat of shootings at various Walmarts this weekend.

The threat was not directed at the Walmart Supercenter at 4500 N. Main St., however, Wildermuth said the local store has been notified by Roswell Police.

The threats come weeks after a man opened fire at an El Paso, Texas Walmart on Aug. 3, killing 22 people and wounding 24 others.

Also, shoppers and employees were evacuated from Roswell’s Walmart Supercenter for about 20 minutes on Aug. 6 following a threat of a possible act of violence.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Mike Herrington, Chaves County Sheriff, said the store was evacuated after a store manager came across a post on Snapchat where individuals wishing to do harm to people were en route to the store.

Sheriff’s deputies and officers with the Roswell Police Department subsequently searched the store and did not uncover any threats related to the social media posting.

When the threat was found not to be credible and conditions were deemed safe, people were allowed back into the store in Roswell on Aug. 6.

Jackie Lindsey, New Mexico Secretary of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, told the Roswell Daily Record Friday that the number of threats of mass violence often rises after high profile episodes such as the shooting in El Paso.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleCity to consider Air Center name change
Next articleNo explosives found in suspicious package