Home News Local News NMMI put on lockdown after ‘off-campus shooting’

NMMI put on lockdown after ‘off-campus shooting’

0

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

An investigation is underway after the New Mexico Military Institute campus was placed on lockdown due to an “isolated off-campus shooting incident” Thursday morning, according to information released by the Institute.

At approximately 9:47 a.m., NMMI officials were notified of the shooting incident, which involved two adult male cadets, according to a NMMI Facebook post.

“One of the two cadets received a non-life threatening injury,” according to the post. “He was treated at the NMMI infirmary and then transported” to a local hospital for follow-up.

The cadet injured in the shooting wasn’t identified, and his age was not known at press time.

Local law enforcement officials said Thursday afternoon that no suspects had yet been identified in the shooting.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Sheriff Mike Herrington said the cadet had been shot once in the hand. “Thankfully, he was only hit once,” Herrington said. “We don’t know how many times he was shot at.”

The sheriff also expressed that it was “lucky” that the incident did not make its way onto campus.

Shots were fired at the cadets — while they were off campus — from a passing automobile, black in color.

The lockdown occurred at approximately 9:55 a.m. and lasted about 40 minutes.

Shortly after the incident occurred, a NMMI statement indicated that other students were not in danger during the lockdown.

State Police, the Roswell Police Department and Chaves County Sheriff’s Office personnel responded to the incident.

Previous articleBush Appliance celebrates 40-year anniversary with ribbon cutting
Next articleCouple accused in Cattle Baron case to stand trial