Home News Local News Man accused of holding woman captive

Man accused of holding woman captive


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A local man who allegedly held his estranged wife captive for five days, threatening to kill her with a knife or blow torch if she tried to escape, was arrested Sunday.

Lorenzo Sanchez (Submitted Photo)

Lorenzo Sanchez, 38, of Roswell, is charged with three counts of aggravated assault against a household member and one count each of aggravated burglary and false imprisonment, according to a press release issued Monday by the Roswell Police Department.

Documents filed in Chaves County Magistrate Court state Sanchez made his first appearance in court on the charges Monday. A judge set bail at $5,000 cash or surety.

Among the conditions of release imposed by the court, Sanchez must not leave Chaves County or New Mexico without the permission of the court and must avoid any contact with the victim or any person who might testify in the case.

Police were dispatched to the 200 block of East Bland Street Sunday at 4:13 p.m. in reference to a domestic disturbance, according to court documents.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

The 41-year-old victim was able to escape when she convinced Sanchez that if he did not let her go to prepare dinner for her grandmother, who also lived on the property in a separate house, that her family would call the police.

The victim, after being released, went to the house on the property immediately and instructed her sister to call the police, court documents state.

The victim later told police that Sanchez had showed up at her trailer Wednesday. When she opened the door, he forced himself into the trailer and started stabbing around her with a knife. Court documents state that he kept telling her he was going to kill her if she tried to leave.

According to the RPD press release, during the ordeal Sanchez held a knife and made stabbing motions near the victim, but did not physically harm her.

When she did attempt to escape, he would point the knife around her and stab around her, saying he was “going to make it painful,” according to court documents.

The victim later told police that she slept as much as she could Thursday, Friday and Saturday because she knew he would try to kill her if she tried to leave the trailer.

Sunday, Sanchez had turned on a blow torch and pointed it at her, and told her to shut up after she told him that she needed to go make dinner for her grandmother. He then stabbed around her every time she informed him that she needed to leave.

She later told Sanchez that her nephew had called her phone and that she needed to go prepare dinner for her grandmother and if she did not, her family would call the police thinking something was wrong, according to court documents.

Sanchez then let her go, but said if she did not return he was going to kill her, according to court documents.

When police arrived, they did not find Sanchez at the residence, but found the blow torch inside the trailer. The victim reported to police that a tool bag, her wallet, her ID and both of her phones were missing from the trailer.

Police later found Sanchez in an alley on South Richardson Avenue near West Tilden Street. Court documents state they found Sanchez with the missing items and found a knife similar to one described by the victim in the tool bag Sanchez had taken, according to court documents.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleCandidates speak at Democrats’ county convention
Next articleLetter: Beyond decommissioning a nuclear power plant