Home News Local News Arrests made in Tuesday fatal shooting

Arrests made in Tuesday fatal shooting


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Daniel Joseph Sosa
Danny Jo Sosa

A Roswell man was arrested Tuesday in connection with the ongoing investigation into the fatal shooting of his roommate.

Daniel Sosa, 20, was arrested Tuesday after police responded at 2:15 p.m. to a report of a suicide at a 300 block of East Church Street residence where Sosa lives.

Robert Ortega, 20, Sosa’s roommate, was found dead in a bedroom of the house the two men shared, according to a press release issued Wednesday by the Roswell Police Department.

Daniel Sosa’s mother, Danny Jo Sosa, was also arrested.

Documents filed in Chaves County Magistrate Court Wednesday state Ortega’s body was found in a bedroom with at least one gunshot wound to the head and a second in the upper right portion of his back.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Ortega was found with a Glock .40 caliber pistol resting on his chest and left arm.

The incident is being investigated as a potential homicide, according to the press release.

Daniel Sosa — who was at the house when police arrived — is charged with one count each of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, tampering with evidence and marijuana possession.

Danny Jo Sosa — also at the scene when police arrived — is charged with one count each of tampering with evidence and possession of marijuana, according to court documents.

Electronic court records state both Sosas made their first appearances in Magistrate Court Wednesday. Daniel Sosa is being held without bond, after the Chaves County District Attorney’s Office filed a motion for pretrial detention in the case.

Bail was set for Danny Jo Sosa at $5,000 cash or surety bond.

Other charges could be filed against Daniel Sosa and his mother, depending on the results of the investigation, the press release states.

Court documents state Daniel Sosa admitted to shooting Ortega in the back with a Glock 23 handgun while Ortega was lying on a bed playing with a phone. He said Ortega responded by shooting himself in the head with a gun that he had with him at the time.

Under questioning, Daniel Sosa later told police he shot Ortega because he thought that Ortega wanted to kill him and felt Ortega was “the devil,” according to court documents.

When questioned by police, Daniel Sosa said he called his mom after the shooting.

Danny Jo Sosa said she and her son took Daniel Sosa’s gun and two other guns and hid them in a white pickup truck. The pickup was parked in the front yard of Danny Jo Sosa’s cousin’s house in the 900 block of South Grand Avenue.

Court documents state police later found three firearms at the 900 block of South Grand address: an FN 5.7 caliber handgun, a Glock 23 .40 caliber pistol with an extended 22-round magazine and an AR-15.

Police also allegedly found a spent .40 caliber shell casing and 3.77 pounds of marijuana with the firearms, according to court documents.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or at breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleState delivers food as part of Hunger Initiative
Next article‘Sleep with the fishes’ in Albuquerque tonight