For the second time this week, state officials on Wednesday reported a new confirmed case of COVID-19 in Chaves County.
The New Mexico Department of Health announced the new positive test result after another case had been reported Monday in Chaves County. The county now has had 32 cases of the virus, as well as two deaths.
Statewide a total of 134 new confirmed cases were announced Wednesday along with seven deaths from the pandemic. The latest figures bring confirmed cases in the state to 6,317 and fatalities from the pandemic to 283.
New infections announced Wednesday included 30 in Bernalillo County, one in Chaves County, three in Cibola County, one in Curry County, four in Doña Ana County, 25 in McKinley County, one in Roosevelt County, 22 in Sandoval County, 25 in San Juan County, one in Santa Fe County, one in Torrance County and one in Valencia County, according to the release.
One new case was also reported by the state among individuals held by federal agencies at the Otero County Prison Facility and there were 19 additional positive test results among federal detainees at the ICE Otero County Processing Center.
All seven additional deaths associated with the pandemic were residents of either McKinley County or San Juan County, which have had a large number of positive test results.
In McKinley County, two women — one in her 50s and one in her 70s — and a man in his 70s were listed among the new deaths. All three were hospitalized and had underlying health conditions.
In San Juan County, three women and one man — all with underlying medical conditions — were also reported to have died from COVID-19. They included one woman in her 80s who was a resident of the Life Care Center of Farmington, and a man in his 80s who was a resident at the San Juan Center facility in Farmington.
According to the press release, the two other deaths in San Juan County were a woman in her 80s and another in her 90s. Both were hospitalized and had underlying medical conditions.
A total of 206 individuals as of Wednesday were hospitalized in New Mexico with COVID-19. The state also reported the Department of Health has designated 1,985 cases as having recovered from the virus.
In a livestreamed press conference Wednesday, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said that nothing in the data currently indicates the state will not meet its June 1 target for starting to resume dine-in services at restaurants and reopening other establishments such as hair salons, malls and gyms.
However, she said it is public health data and not what neighboring states such as Texas are doing that will determine the pace at which New Mexico reopens. She noted that places such as El Paso have reopened only to then see a surge in new COVID-19 cases.
Lujan Grisham also urged New Mexicans to continue observing social distancing guidelines and wearing cloth face masks when in public.
To keep up with local coverage of the coronavirus, go to rdrnews.com/category/news/covid-19-situation/.
Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext, 301, or firstname.lastname@example.org.