Home News Local News Man to remain in custody on sexual assault charge

Man to remain in custody on sexual assault charge


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man accused of holding a woman in a motel room and sexually assaulting her will remain in custody following a judge’s ruling.

District Judge Thomas Lilley of New Mexico’s 5th Judicial District, during a June 29 hearing in Chaves County, granted a motion from the District Attorney’s Office for the pretrial preventive detention of Larry Dean Gillard, 59, according to court documents.

Gillard is charged with one count each of criminal sexual penetration and kidnapping.

Alternatives to detention without bail were considered at the hearing, such as imposition of a curfew for Gillard, house arrest, release to the custody of a third party, a no contact order, wearing a GPS ankle monitor or a combination of such conditions.

However, court documents state, it was concluded by the court that no such conditions would prevent Gillard from engaging in behavior that could harm another individual or the community at large.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Deirdre Ewing, Gillard’s attorney, did not respond to a request for comment on the decision or the case before press time Monday.

Gillard is alleged to have picked up the woman who he had not previously met while she was walking along Union Avenue on June 20 and looking for the police station.

According to court documents, Gillard, who was driving a pickup truck, pulled up and offered her a ride. The woman later told police that she informed Gillard that she had been involved in a domestic violence dispute and wanted to go to the police station.

He then took the woman to a motel in the 2300 block of North Main Street, rented a room and said he would take her to the police once she relaxed.

Court documents state the woman later told Chaves County deputies that once in the room, Gillard locked the door and said he wanted her to pay him back for the cost of the room through sexual activity, something she refused to do.

After smoking some marijuana, he allegedly pinned down the woman on a bed with one arm and proceeded to perform sexual acts on her without her consent. The woman said she then had a panic attack and blacked out and was afraid because Gillard said he had a gun.

The woman later escaped from Gillard, after she was able to convince him to let her step outside to smoke a cigarette. Once outside the room, she ran to a neighboring business, where she hid as Gillard drove around in his black pickup looking for her.

An employee at the business spotted her and at her urging called 911.

Gillard, who was arrested early the next morning, later told deputies that he had picked up the woman on Union Avenue after she flagged him down.

Though he admitted to driving her to the motel, renting a room, entering the room with her and touching her over her clothes, Gillard denied having any skin to skin contact with the woman or that he sexually assaulted her, documents state.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext, 301, or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.


Previous articleFarmers’ Market begins this weekend
Next articleGomesindo V. Silva, Jr.