Chaves County has nine new COVID-19 cases, while New Mexico added 324 cases Saturday.
The New Mexico Department of Health also announced that six additional deaths have been reported.
With the new numbers reported, there are now 260 total cases in Chaves County and 18,788 in the state.
To date, 8,857 tests have been performed on Chaves County residents. Of the 260 total positive tests, 67 people have been reported as recovered. The county has had four residents who have died from COVID-related causes since March.
New Mexico’s COVID-related fatalities now total 607. The six deaths announced Saturday involved people who were said to have underlying conditions and to have been in hospitals or care facilities. They are two women in their 80s from Bernalillo County; a woman in her 60s from McKinley County, a man in his 70s from Rio Arriba County, a man in his 80s from Sandoval County and a woman in her 60s from San Juan County.
Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.
Support Local Journalism
The counties having double-digit increases in new cases are Bernalillo (93), Curry (12), Doña Ana (64), Lea (28), McKinley (28), Sandoval (10) and San Juan (10).
The Health Department website also indicates that 512,425 tests have been administered statewide. Of the 18,788 who have tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic, 7,268 have recovered. There are 148 people in the hospital, with 2,542 COVID-related hospitalizations since March.
People with COVID-19 include 484 detainees of federal agencies being held at four facilities in Cibola, Otero and Torrance counties, as well as 497 detainees held in seven state correctional facilities in Valencia, Union, Lea, Cibola, Otero and Santa Fe counties.
In addition, there are 43 long-term and acute-care facilities in various cities with at least one staff member or resident who has tested positive for COVID-19 during the past 28 days. That includes Sunset Villa Care Center on South Sunset Avenue in Roswell, which had a contract staff member test positive earlier in the week. The center administrator said that person will not be at the site until completing quarantine and testing negative.
State public health orders and executive orders intended to slow or prevent the spread of coronavirus remain in effect at least until July 30. They include limiting gatherings to small groups that allow at least 6 feet of distance between people and using face coverings when around others except when eating, drinking or swimming. The orders are posted on the Health Department website, www.cv.nmhealth.org.