Home News Local News Man charged in Sunday morning chase

Man charged in Sunday morning chase


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Police arrested a 29-year-old Roswell man early Sunday, after he allegedly led officers on a high-speed vehicle chase on Main Street while his 4-year-old son was in the back seat.

Jacob Sigala faces one count each of abandonment or abuse of a child; resisting, evading or obstructing an officer; reckless driving; visibility, distance and mounted height of lamps; failure to maintain traffic lane; speeding and child not in restraint or seatbelt, according to documents filed Monday in Chaves County Magistrate Court.

Sigala, according to court documents, during the pursuit drove at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour, did not have his headlights on and was driving in the wrong traffic lane. He was detained after the chase ended, and allegedly was not cooperative with police.

Officers encountered Sigala when they were dispatched to a 1300 block of North Main Street hotel at 1:03 a.m. Sunday in response to a 9-1-1 call about a woman locked out of the room where she and Sigala — her boyfriend — and their 4-year-old son were staying.

According to court documents, Sigala’s girlfriend informed police that she had left the room at some point and when she returned, her key wasn’t working. When she went to get a new key, it also did not work. She added that when she looked through the window into the room, she could see the child but not Sigala.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Hotel employees also informed her they had observed Sigala inside the room standing next to the door but not opening it, according to court documents.

After obtaining a master key from hotel staff, police were able to partially open the door. However, the top lock on the door was secured and prevented the door from fully opening.

When Sigala finally opened the door, he explained to the officers that he was asleep in the room with his son at the time. According to court documents, officers noticed Sigala’s pupils were allegedly dilated and his eyes “extremely bloodshot” indicating possible intoxication.

On the orders of hotel staff, Sigala, his girlfriend and son were preparing to leave.

While his girlfriend was inside the room packing their things, Sigala placed their son in the back seat of their black Prius. Court documents state Sigala then purportedly sped off in the car with his child in the back seat and tires screeching, nearly striking his girlfriend as he drove off without the vehicle headlights on.

At least one officer pursued Sigala and attempted to initiate a traffic stop as the Prius veered into opposing traffic lanes.

Sigala stopped the car near Main and Seventh streets. When he emerged from the vehicle, the arresting officer tried to place handcuffs on Sigala. Documents state Sigala responded by pulling his arms away from the officer.

When officers tried to search Sigala, court documents state, he allegedly pulled away from them and grabbed onto one of the officer’s hands. Police also several times allegedly had to physically force Sigala into the back seat of the unit.

During a first appearance in Magistrate Court Monday, court records state Judge K.C. Rogers set Sigala’s bail at $25,000 cash or surety bond.

Sigala, court records state, was charged earlier this month on one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on a household member; residential burglary and criminal damage to property of a household member under $1,000.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext, 301, or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleCity’s upcoming public forum open to all residents
Next articleState reports less than 100 new COVID-19 cases Monday