Home News Local News Woman charged after allegedly leading deputies on chase

Woman charged after allegedly leading deputies on chase


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A 22-year-old woman faces multiple criminal counts after allegedly leading Chaves County deputies on a lengthy vehicle pursuit through residential neighborhoods that at times reached speeds of up to 69 mph.

Jamie Mann (Submitted Photo)

Jamie Mann of Roswell is charged with one count each of aggravated driving while intoxicated; resisting, evading or obstructing an officer; failure to give immediate notice of accidents; careless driving; and driver’s license not in possession, according to documents filed Thursday in Chaves County Magistrate Court.

She later pleaded not guilty to all charges during a Thursday appearance in Magistrate Court.

The chase began Tuesday at around 11:37 p.m. on South Main near Wildy Street, after deputies observed a black SUV and downed light pole in the southbound lane.

When deputies approached in marked units, the SUV sped off heading south on Main Street. Deputies followed the fleeing vehicle, as it turned west on Poe Street.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

According to court documents, speeds at times reached up to 48 mph while in a 30 mph zone as the SUV allegedly ran at least two stop signs before turning north onto Union Avenue.

As the pursuit continued north, the SUV temporarily left the roadway. Court documents state the SUV was unable to maintain its lane of travel, at times allegedly reaching speeds of 69 mph and running a stop sign at the intersection of Hobbs Street and Union Avenue.

The SUV at one point allegedly crossed lanes and traveled onto a residential yard. The pursuit slowed to 25 mph when two tires on the vehicle’s passenger side fell apart before the SUV came to a halt at the intersection of Union Avenue and Forest Street, according to documents.

Mann then allegedly stumbled as she emerged from the passenger side of the vehicle. No passengers were with her at the time.

She then allegedly fled on foot, heading east on Forest Street. She was eventually apprehended and placed in handcuffs.

According to court documents, Mann reportedly had bloodshot, watery eyes, slurred speech, and difficulty maintaining balance when she was placed in the back of a patrol unit, and had the odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from her breath.

When asked if she had consumed any alcohol, Mann, according to the court documents, replied that she had several shots of Bacardi several hours before driving.

Mann later allegedly refused to comply with a Standard Field Sobriety test or in providing a breath sample, court documents state.

Magistrate Judge K.C. Rogers released Mann on her own recognizance following Thursday’s hearing. According to court records, she is next scheduled to appear in court Oct. 7

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext, 301, or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleRISD board OKs contract, salaries with custodial union
Next articleAmerican Airlines to suspend Roswell flights in October