Home News Local News Two charged in alleged Sunday kidnapping

Two charged in alleged Sunday kidnapping


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A man and woman accused of kidnapping a woman Sunday were arrested and charged on several criminal counts.

Edmund Montes (Submitted Photo)

Edmund Montes, 37, of Roswell, and Delfida Marie Pineda, also known as Marie Pineda, 43, of Roswell, were served with arrest warrants returned to Chaves County Magistrate Court Monday, according to electronic court records.

Montes faces one count each of kidnapping, no intent to commit sexual offense; aggravated assault of a household member; battery of a household member and bribery of a witness. Pineda is charged with kidnapping, no intent to commit sexual offense; and battery.

Both Montes and Pineda allegedly forced a woman into the back of a tan Mitsubishi Montero SUV, drove her out of Roswell and then threatened and assaulted her.

Police were dispatched to Montes’ 200 block of East Church Street residence Sunday at 4 p.m. after receiving a call from the alleged victim’s relatives who said they just received a call from her saying she had been in a fight with Montes.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Delfida Marie Pineda (Submitted Photo)

Court documents state when police arrived at the house, Montes, Pineda, the alleged victim and a man only identified as Andre showed up in the SUV.

One officer said, according to court documents, the alleged victim appeared frantic and scared, while Montes was acting aggressively. The officer later stated she believed Montes was intimidating the woman.

The alleged victim had visible recent injuries on her forearms, hands and neck, court documents state and was taken to Eastern New Mexico Medical Center.

Alleged victim’s statement

When she later spoke with a detective, the alleged victim said she had gotten into an argument that devolved into a physical fight in the front yard of the East Church Street residence.

Court documents state that when the alleged victim walked away heading east on Church Street, Montes and Pineda pulled up to her in the SUV. She said Montes got out, began yelling at her and allegedly used his body weight to pin her up against a nearby fence. He then reportedly lifted her up, grabbed her by her hair and threw her into the back of the SUV.

Montes remained in the back seat with the alleged victim while Pineda drove toward the Pecos River. Throughout the drive, court documents state, Montes repeatedly threatened the alleged victim and her family.

Court documents state that while traveling north on Atkinson Avenue, Montes opened the rear door of the vehicle and tried to push the alleged victim out while the vehicle was still in motion.

The alleged victim later told police Montes then began searching her person for her cellphone so she could not use it to call anyone. When he could not find the cellphone, he became angry and Pineda pulled the SUV into a field.

Grabbing her hair, Montes then reportedly forced her out of the SUV and held her down on the ground while Pineda searched the alleged victim’s purse but could not find the cellphone.

According to court documents, Montes accused the alleged victim of cheating on him, threatened her and forced her back into the SUV. Montes allegedly began driving back into town while Pineda reportedly held a hammer and watched the alleged victim.

After picking up the man identified as Andre, the three then headed back to the East Church Street residence where they were encountered by police.

Montes’ statement

When interviewed by police, Pineda and Montes said the alleged victim began hitting Montes first at his house, according to court documents. Pineda added that she and the alleged victim then began fighting for about five minutes outside the house.

When asked how the three of them ended up in the vehicle together, court documents state, Pineda replied that the alleged victim wanted a ride but refused to say where, so they took her back to Montes’ house.

Montes, when interviewed, according to court documents, said that he and the alleged victim were at his house when she began arguing with him. He said they were both inside the vehicle with Pineda when the alleged victim started punching him and they began fighting with each other. Montes said he was not sure what happened after that or why they were in the SUV together.

During a first appearance in Chaves County Magistrate Court, electronic court records state that Judge E.J. Fouratt released Pineda on her own recognizance and set bond for Montes at $5,000 cash or surety.

Montes was still listed as an inmate in the Chaves County Detention Center’s jail population summary report Tuesday morning.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301 or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleNew Year’s baby born at Lovelace hospital
Next articleCommittee OKs Cielo Grande master plan, Lea bridge contract