Home News COVID-19 Situation Chaves County marks 100th COVID-19 death

Chaves County marks 100th COVID-19 death


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Chaves County marked 100 deaths related to COVID-19 on Wednesday according to the New Mexico Department of Health with three local deaths among the 47 reported statewide.

The number of new cases in the state and Chaves County also showed an increase in the daily update from the health department.

The three local deaths were two men in their 80s who were residents of Mission Arch Center, 3200 Mission Arch Drive, and a woman in her 90s who was a resident of Sunset Villa Care Center, 1515 Sunset Ave. All three had underlying health conditions, according to the press release.

Fifteen deaths were reported in Bernalillo County; seven in Doña Ana County; four in Santa Fe County; three in Sandoval and McKinley counties; two in Curry, Roosevelt and San Juan counties; and one each in Eddy, Lea, Lincoln, Sierra, Torrance and Valencia counties.

Statewide, the total number of deaths is now 2,641.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Thirty counties and one correctional institution reported a total of 1,496 new cases of COVID-19 including 76 in Chaves County.

The state’s total number of cases since March is now 149,984 and the county’s total is 7,264.

As of Wednesday, 712 people are hospitalized in the state for COVID-19.

The Department of Health has designated 72,089 cases as recovered.

From Dec. 15 to 28, Chaves County averaged 98.2 new cases of COVID-19 per day per 100,000 people and a test positivity rate of 20.62%. Those numbers place Chaves County in the Red Level, or very high risk category, in the state’s risk assessment system.

City/RISD reporter Juno Ogle can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 205, or reporter04@rdrnews.com.

To keep up with local coverage of the coronavirus, go to rdrnews.com/category/news/covid-19-situation/.

Previous articleRoswell’s Natalie Iglesias is a team player
Next articleMan pleads not guilty to charges in RPD standoff