Home News Local News Man arrested after allegedly leading police on chase

Man arrested after allegedly leading police on chase


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

Roswell police, aided by the Chaves County Sheriff’s Office and New Mexico State Police, took a man into custody Saturday night after he reportedly led police on a high-speed pursuit during which he nearly collided with another vehicle.

Henry Walton (Submitted Photo)

Henry Walton, 48, of Roswell was detained by law enforcement shortly after 9:02 p.m. at an East Pine Lodge Road residence, according to documents filed Monday in Chaves County Magistrate Court.

Walton faces charges including aggravated fleeing of a law enforcement officer, reckless driving and failure to stop at a stop sign.

Court documents state a Roswell police officer encountered Walton at 8:31 p.m. Saturday when the officer, heading north on Atkinson Avenue, reportedly witnessed a white vehicle traveling southbound at 68 mph in a 35 mph zone. When the officer turned around, he observed the white vehicle fail to yield for a stop sign at the intersection of Atkinson Avenue and College Boulevard.

The officer then activated his emergency lights and attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the suspect vehicle continued to move at high rates of speed.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

When it reached the intersection of Atkinson Avenue and East Second Street, court documents state, the suspect vehicle allegedly ran a red light, narrowly avoiding a collision with a white Ford truck.

Once in the area of Atkinson Avenue and Bland Street, the suspect vehicle slowed, allowing the officer to catch a glimpse of the white male driver. He learned from dispatch that the vehicle was registered to Walton.

The suspect vehicle then allegedly drove through the parking lot of Nancy Lopez Elementary School, turned north on Atkinson Avenue and then West on Bland Street, continuing to exceed the posted speed limit.

Because of the danger posed by the vehicle, court documents state the officer discontinued pursuit.

State police later spotted the vehicle outside the East Pine Lodge Road residence. Police attempted but were unsuccessful in getting Walton to exit a travel trailer on the property.

According to court documents, the premises were then secured at 9:02 p.m. A search warrant was obtained for the property before Walton was eventually taken into custody.

Electronic court records state Walton is currently being held without bond.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301 or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleTrail rehabilitation to go back to bid
Next articleRISD prepares for shift to hybrid learning model