Home News Local News Two apprehended in Friday high-speed pursuit

Two apprehended in Friday high-speed pursuit

Roswell police, Chaves County Sheriff's deputies and New Mexico State Police shut down both lanes of traffic on U.S. 285 at milepost 201, south of Vaughn, while detaining two individuals who led law enforcement on a high-speed chase. (Submitted Photo)

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A high-speed pursuit Friday that reached speeds of 100 mph ended with the apprehension of a man and a woman.

Charles Yslas, Chaves County undersheriff, said the pursuit ended shortly before noon on U.S. 285 just south of Vaughn, following a chase involving the sheriff’s office, Roswell police and New Mexico State Police.

A state police helicopter from Santa Fe was also dispatched to assist in the pursuit.

Yslas said speed sticks were deployed to stop the gray four-door suspect vehicle as it proceeded north on U.S. 285. The vehicle came to a halt after it either hit the speed sticks or swerved to avoid them, causing it to cross the median and the southbound lane before stopping west of the road.

No law enforcement personnel were injured, though Yslas said one of the suspects complained of some minor injuries and was checked out by medical professionals on the scene.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Identities of both the man and woman taken into custody could not be verified as of Friday, but Yslas said they both face multiple criminal counts. He added traffic during the pursuit was shut down in the north and southbound lanes of U.S. 285.

The pursuit began late Friday morning in the area of North Kentucky Avenue and West College Boulevard, when Roswell police spotted a vehicle matching the description of one frequently driven by a suspect in a recent shooting.

That individual was not the man arrested in the chase.

Previous articleUPDATE: Friday morning shooting leaves one dead
Next articleCounty commissioners oppose New Mexico Civil Rights Act