Home News COVID-19 Situation State to open next phase of vaccine plan

State to open next phase of vaccine plan

0

Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

People in Roswell and across New Mexico will have increased opportunities to get COVID-19 vaccines with the state announcing when it will open the next phase of its vaccination plan.

On Monday, all New Mexicans age 16 or older will be eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine as the state opens Phase 2 of its plan, according to a press release from the New Mexico Department of Health.

“President Biden directed states to make all adults eligible for vaccine by May 1. New Mexico will meet that mark nearly a month early,” DOH Secretary Dr. Tracie Collins said in the press release.

Providers in some parts of the state are having trouble filling appointments for those currently eligible in Phases 1A, 1B and 1C, the press release said, prompting the state to open the next phase.

The department will continue to prioritize appointments for those in Phase 1A, which is primarily health care workers, as well as those 75 and older and those 60 years and older who have a chronic health condition.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

Updated data on the NMDOH COVID-19 vaccine dashboard shows more than 1.2 million doses have been given in New Mexico. The state has administered 1,014,641 doses while federal agencies have given 202,388.

Overall, 45% of New Mexicans age 16 and older have had at least one dose and 28% are fully vaccinated. In Chaves County, 30% of the population age 16 and older have had at least one dose and 19% are fully vaccinated.

In the daily case update, the health department reported 277 new cases of COVID-19 in 23 counties. Eight new cases were reported in Chaves County.

The total number of cases in the state is 191,652 including 8,741 in Chaves County.

Five additional deaths related to COVID-19 were reported in the state. Doña Ana and San Juan counties each reported two deaths, with one in San Miguel County. All had underlying health conditions and three had been hospitalized.

The total number of deaths in the state is 3,937.

As of Wednesday, 99 people are hospitalized in the state for COVID-19.

City/RISD reporter Juno Ogle can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 205, or reporter04@rdrnews.com.

To keep up with local coverage of the coronavirus, go to rdrnews.com/category/news/covid-19-situation/.

Previous articleLarge North Kentucky Avenue building gets new owners
Next articlePlans for UFO Festival begin to take shape