Home News Local News Judge rules suspect in abduction, chase, to be held without bond

Judge rules suspect in abduction, chase, to be held without bond


Copyright © 2021 Roswell Daily Record

A local judge has ruled that a man accused of forcing his former girlfriend into a vehicle at gunpoint before leading law enforcement on a high-speed chase from Roswell into Eddy County will remain held without bond.

Orlando Martinez Flores (Submitted Photo)22

Judge Jared Kallunki of New Mexico’s 5th Judicial District Court at a Sept. 3 hearing in Chaves County granted a motion by the District Attorney’s Office to keep 33-year-old Orlando Martinez Flores detained without bond while awaiting trial on charges stemming from the Sept. 1 incident, according to court records.

Flores was on parole at the time of the incident after serving a little more than 17 years on a first-degree murder charge, which court documents state was a factor in Kallunki’s decision to grant the motion.

“Defendant’s history shows that he is currently on parole for a violent offense. This history shows that he is not likely to follow the Court’s orders as he collected these charges while on parole for a serious violent offense. The ongoing nature of these offenses concerns the Court,” court documents state.

Both monetary and non-monetary conditions of release that could be imposed were considered, including house arrest, a curfew, release to a third party, a no-contact order or a GPS ankle monitor.

Support Local Journalism
Subscribe to the Roswell Daily Record today.

“Based upon the evidence presented at hearing, none of these conditions, separately or in combination, would sufficiently protect the safety of the community and would only provide a basis to revoke release if violated, which would be too late for anyone who might have been harmed,” court records state.

Joanne Angel, Flores’ attorney, was unable to be reached Tuesday about the case.

Flores faces criminal counts in two counties.

In Chaves County, he is charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault against a household member, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated fleeing a law enforcement officer and receipt, possession or transportation of a firearm or destructive device by a felon.

He was also charged in Eddy County with aggravated fleeing a law enforcement officer, reckless driving, driving without a license and driving without insurance.

The 85-minute chase ended southwest of Carlsbad and involved officers with the Roswell and Artesia police departments; New Mexico State Police; and deputies with the Chaves and Eddy County Sheriff’s Offices.

According to court records, the pursuit began when an RPD detective arrived at a 1400 block of North Adams Avenue residence after police had received a call about a domestic disturbance involving a man with a gun.

The detective allegedly observed Flores pointing a gun at the woman and forcing her into the back seat of a Toyota Camry.

Court records state that when the detective attempted to initiate a traffic stop, the vehicle accelerated.

After heading down several streets in South Roswell, the pursuit reached U.S. Highway 285, continuing south through Artesia at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour, with Flores at times traveling in the opposing lane of traffic, according to court documents.

The pursuit ended on New Mexico State Road 137 at mile marker 28 when the Camry ran out of gas, according to a press release from the RPD about the incident. The woman was found uninjured and Flores was taken into custody.

Breaking news reporter Alex Ross can be reached at 575-622-7710, ext. 301, or breakingnews@rdrnews.com.

Previous articleMalone hopes to serve taxpayers, parents on school board
Next articleCity council increases recommended fees for cannabis projects